Employer: Fishtown Analytics
dbt Labs was founded in 2016 to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. Since then, we’ve grown to become one of the most respected brands in the analytics industry. Our product, dbt, is used by thousands of companies.
Who we are
At dbt Labs, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that:
- Code, not graphical user interfaces, is the best abstraction to express complex analytic logic
- Data analysts should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers
- Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open source software
- Analytic code itselfâ€”not just analytics toolsâ€”will increasingly be open source
It turns out that a lot of other people believe this too! Over the course of the past several years we’ve built a community of 15,000+ people and 5,000 companies who are using our ideas, products, and workflows to conduct analytics, including Lyft, Monzo, GitLab, Snowflake, the ACLU, Amazon, JetBlue, and RentTheRunway. Our product, dbt, has come to be synonymous with the practice of analytics engineering, defining an entire industry. We’re backed by top investors including Andreessen Horowitz and Sequoia Capital, recently raising our series C: read the announcement here!
About the role
The dbt community and the broader data industry is evolving quickly. Narrative constantly shifts between events, conferences, new tool launches, new team structures and ways of working.
This role exists to make sure that these shifts don’t pass by without notice, and to ensure that data practitioners have as easy a time as possible following the plot.
This is primarily a journalism role, documenting happenings in the analytics engineering community and the data industry at largeâ€”you’ll produce short posts, long-form reporting, and accompanying video summaries.
This role is quasi-technical or technical-adjacent: you must be fluent in the verbal language of the data industry, but not necessarily in the code itself.
In the future, this role could advance to an editorial / managerial role, or progress in seniority as an individual contributor.
In this role, you can expect toâ€¦
- Research + write blog posts by interviewing data practitioners on the dbt Labs team + in the community
- Script + edit video tutorials to accompany your writing
- Produce original data-backed reporting on how dbt + other tools in the ecosystem are being used in practice
- Collaborate closely with an editor (the organic acquisition manager) to select topics + edit your work
You are a good fit if youâ€¦
- Have previously formed a long-lasting (1+ year) writer <> editor relationship, and enjoy the process of incorporating feedback into your work
- Are fluent in the composition of the modern data stack and dbt’s role in it, having worked in the data industry (or its many adjacencies) for at least 1 year
- Have produced successful YouTube or TikTok-level video content
- Your work is visible online, either in an organized portfolio or via profile pages on various platforms (Medium / blogs, YouTube / TikTok, etc)
You’ll have an edge if youâ€¦
- A data journalism background, including data visualization + analysis skillsâ€”if you do, you’ll have a mountain of anonymous dbt usage data to report on
- Experience writing SQL or using dbt
Compensation & Benefits…
- Salary: $85,000 – $110,000
- Equity Stake
- Benefits: Unlimited vacation, 401k w/ 3% guaranteed contribution, excellent healthcare, and paid parental leave
What to expect in the hiring process:
- A phone call with a recruiter
- An introductory phone call with our Head of Acquisition
- Panel interviews with marketing & community team
- Final round interview with our CEO