The GED test has opened doors to better jobs and college programs for more than 20 million graduates since 1942. The GED test is accepted by virtually all U.S. colleges and employers. As the creator of the one official GED test, GED Testing Service has a responsibility to ensure that the program continues to be a reliable and valuable pathway to a better life for the millions of adults without a high school diploma. The organization continues to develop several new, innovative programs like GEDWorks. GED Testing Service is a joint venture between the American Council on Education and Pearson.
GED Testing Service® is sister company to Pearson VUE, the global leader in computer-based testing. Together GED Testing Service® and Pearson VUE are businesses of Pearson. Pearson is listed on both the London and New York stock exchanges (UK: PSON; NYSE: PSO).
The GED® Student Advisor will work with students to guide them through the process of obtaining their GED® credential. The Advisor will process student intake and help answer student’s questions about the GED® program assign practice tests, the GEDReady, and appropriate study materials for the student. They will monitor the student’s progress through their prep to test journey and motivate them along the way. The Advisor is also responsible for helping students interpret their assessment results and prescribe their learning path. They will also identify and implement new approaches to helping more people successfully earn their GED credentials.
A successful job applicant should have a strong sense of empathy, excellent customer service skills, and strong organizational skills. Ideal candidates will have experience with adult students or the GED.
- Guide and Advise Students
- Initial outreach to GED® students through a welcome phone call, email, or text.
- Process student registration in GED® systems
- Describe GED® program to student and prescribe student learning path
- Monitor weekly student progress and advise them on the next steps
- Weekly touch-base contact with student
- Interpret assessment results as necessary
- Identify and implement student improvements
- Identify, develop, and implement new models or approaches to helping students be more successful in reaching their GED goals
- Report on student progress – individual and aggregate reporting
- Identify process improvements to drive student completion and outcomes
- Education and Experience:
- Some post-secondary education preferred
- Excellent customer-facing skills
- Ideal candidates will have experience with adult students or the GED
- Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong empathy, driven to progress, and helping people meet their goals
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent communicator
- Team player
- Bilingual – Spanish; strongly preferred but not required
Compensation at Pearson is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and specific location. As required by the Colorado, California, Washington State, New York State, and New York City laws, the pay range for this position is as follows:
The minimum full-time salary range is between $45,000 – $50,000
This position is not bonus eligible, and information on benefits offered is here.
What to expect from Pearson
Did you know Pearson is one of the 10 most innovative education companies of 2022?
At Pearson, we add life to a lifetime of learning so everyone can realize the life they imagine. We do this by creating vibrant and enriching learning experiences designed for real-life impact. We are on a journey to be 100 percent digital to meet the changing needs of the global population by developing a new strategy with ambitious targets. To deliver on our strategic vision, we have five business divisions that are the foundation for the long-term growth of the company: Assessment & Qualifications, Virtual Learning, English Language Learning, Workforce Skills and Higher Education. Alongside these, we have our corporate divisions: Digital & Technology, Finance, Global Corporate Marketing & Communications, Human Resources, Legal, Strategy and Direct to Consumer.