AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network’s largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities. We are proud of our staff from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 2,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include immersion-based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educators, schools and businesses.
Seasonal Interview Coordinators (SIC) are part of the Sponsored Programs Department. Our Sponsored Programs team collaborates with the U.S. Department of State on several public diplomacy initiatives that are designed to promote peace and understanding between the U.S. and exchange countries. SICs will train, guide, monitor, and support AFS-USA volunteers around the country, in interviewing candidates –typically over 1,000– as part of the selection process for these merit-based scholarships.
SIC staff are responsible for the successful coordination of all applicant interviews in concert with AFS-USA volunteers and via virtual and in-person interviews with applicants, as well as associated communication and administrative tasks. SICs will take responsibility for ensuring that each student is contacted and interviewed in a timely manner, that data is accurately recorded and stored, and that all documents are submitted according to quality standards and deadlines.
- Provide great customer service to AFS-USA volunteers, including training, guiding, monitoring, communication, assistance with applicant load management, and advising volunteers throughout the interview process.
- Initiate and maintain contact with AFS-USA volunteers to schedule, monitor progress, and track interviews and to support throughout. Assist with volunteer interview recruitment, as necessary.
- Communicate with AFS-USA staff and volunteers to finalize logistical arrangements of remote and in-person interviews. Assist with technical implementation of interviews.
- Monitor the organization and program’s digital communication resources (such as websites and newsletters) to identify areas where more information can be provided.
- Conduct personal and confidential scholarship interviews remotely with candidates.
- Track and share regular status reports and statistics, as well as volunteer hours.
- Act as a professional and efficient point of contact for students, including when scheduling an interview.
- The regular business hours of AFS-USA are Monday – Friday, 9AM – 5PM eastern. However, you may work a schedule outside of these hours dependent on the needs of your department. There will be times when hours will be altered due to seasonal fluctuations in workload and may include occasional weekend and/or evening work.
- The expected duration of this position is mid-November through late-March. SICs will work remotely with NYC office space available for in-person work Monday – Friday, typically 9AM – 5PM easter or 12PM – 8PM eastern, as assigned. We welcome candidates from throughout the U.S. for remote work however candidates located in New York City are preferred. Applicants must commit to the full duration of the position.
- The compensation for this position is $18/hourly. This position is eligible for overtime pay and sick & safe time.
- Minimum education of an Associate’s degree, with a preference for a focus on Education, International Studies, Communications, or related field preferred; or, at least two years in field of study related to this position. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Outstanding written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong work ethic and independent project management skills
- Extremely detail-oriented and organized
- Flexible, works well under pressure, possesses strong independent time management skills
- Proficient in MS Office suite; database experience a plus
- Willingness to work overtime and weekends as needed
- Experience in using Zoom and conducting webinars preferred
- Aptitude to learn and apply new information quickly
- Previous volunteering and/or training experience preferred
- Previous event planning/coordinator experience preferred
- Study abroad and/or international travel experience preferred