We are looking for payroll experts who are passionate about providing small business owners with the best customer service experience in the world. You will guide our customers through using Gusto for payroll and benefits and act as their advocate internally to influence our product decisions and roadmap. You’ll address real problems and deliver an exceptional customer experience, all while continuing to work in the payroll industry and begin your career in the high growth tech industry.
The Customer Care team is the linchpin of our world-class customer experience. With their passion, insight and customer advocacy, this team has helped us maintain an NPS of 70+ while serving hundreds of thousands of businesses.
In this role, you’ll be supporting payroll and benefits at Gusto. You will guide our customers to payroll solutions, answering questions via phone, email, and chat each day. Advocates are offered a unique career ladder progression system which allows for advancement within the role based on the product tiers and skills being developed. Each progression on the ladder comes with a new set of skills, expectations, and a generous compensation change as a reward for the high standards set in order to deliver on our customer promise.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- You will provide exceptional customer service by interacting with small business owners to resolve payroll related questions via email, chat, and live phone shifts, the latter lasting up to 8 hours during periods of high inbound call volume. You may be scheduled anytime during our hours of operation (7am – 6pm MT).
- You’ll handle inbound customer inquires about processing payroll, taxes and compliance.
- You will stay up-to-date with new products/features and be able to consistently communicate these updates to customers in a way that ensures an exceptional customer experience.
- You will be able to perform your duties in a fast-paced environment, being able to adapt to change quickly in order to quickly resolve customer issues.
- You will work in close collaboration with other advocates as well as collaborate across the company in order to influence product development.
- You will be flexible in order to accommodate annual volume spikes ranging from December through March where we require additional weekend overtime and blackout periods for paid time off in order to provide the best service possible to our customers.
- You will be able to deliver exemplary customer service using a “search first” mentality.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Minimum of 2 year work experience working in the payroll industry with a basic understanding of taxes, compliance, filings and wage laws across multiple states.
- No less than 2 years of work experience in a customer-facing role (ideally contact center, accounting, payroll, taxes, and/or benefits experience).
- Payroll Industry Certifications (FPC or CPP) are a plus!
- Tech Savvy: You know your way around GSuite and a Mac. Bonus points for knowing Salesforce, JIRA, and Slack.
- Team Player: A consummate teammate, ready to wear multiple hats, inspire those around you, and work collectively while priding yourself in maintaining a professional brand and image.
- Self Starter: A proactive problem solver with incredible critical thinking skills, comfortable with a role heavy in customer interaction for a minimum of 24 months.
- Handles stress well: Conflict resolution skills and a personality that thrives in a dynamic environment.
- Reliable: Reference checks should reveal no attendance / tardiness patterns.
- Ethical: The demands of this position are not an excuse to abandon our values, but rather, an opportunity to reveal them to our customers.
- Great written and verbal communicator: Loves writing and talking about technical concepts to a wide range of audiences and understands the importance of listening to the customer before delivering service.
At Gusto, we strive to provide rewards that empower employees to achieve their financial and personal goals. We offer competitive compensation packages with a strong emphasis on equity based compensation (ownership in Gusto). To learn more about Gusto’s compensation philosophy and benefits offerings please view our Total Rewards Approach page.
Our cash compensation for this role is targeted at $22.60 – $25.49/hr in Denver & most remote locations, with the opportunity to be eligible for a pay increase quarterly after the first ~6 months in the role as you progress in proficiency. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amount listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.