The Billing and Scholarship Coordinator is responsible for ensuring the accuracy of all student accounts in relation to finances by coordinating the setup, collection, payments, scholarships, and refunds that occur throughout the student life cycle. The Billing and Scholarship Coordinator will also be responsible for maintaining and reporting on revenue, including scholarships and other cost reductions, and identifying trends and concerns impeding timely payments. The position plays a critical supporting role assisting with creating and maintaining systems to facilitate student-centric and scholarship and financial aid processes, on-time payments, and reduced student attrition through the stewarding of efficient and proactive procedures.
The ideal candidate is someone who is detail-oriented, analytical in their approach, committed to superior customer service, a creative problem solver, ability to adapt and grow quickly in a fast-paced environment, and professionally vested in creating systems and building an organization dedicated to supporting students’ path in higher education.
- Maintains student account records
- Ownership of the student tuition collections process included coordinating and developing aging reports to manage timely payments and accuracy
- Maintains knowledge of Verto’s pricing model and refund policies
- Assists as needed in identifying and processing refunds due to students for withdrawal, credit load reduction, or dropped courses
- Coordinates 1098Ts for eligible students
- Assists with file reviews, audits, and other regulatory requirements as needed
- Coordinates payment plans with students for the collection of outstanding balances, as needed owed to the school
- Performs balance sheet account reconciliations, in coordination with an external third-party and internal constituents
- Maintains and regularly prepares operational tracking reports
- SCHOLARSHIP MANAGEMENT
- Review scholarship applications, work with admission counselors, students, and families to collect necessary documentation for completion of scholarship files, award scholarships, and maintain records. Serve as the point of contact for all scholarship-related questions internally and externally.
- Serve as the maintainer of all scholarship records
- Coordinating across internal departments and with external stakeholders
- Communicate, collaborate, and maintain the relationship with external stakeholders such as accounting, CFO, consulting groups, to continue to improve our scholarship/billing/financial aid systems as we scale
- Collaborate internally with marketing, student success, and admissions to align scholarship and billing cycles, holistically troubleshoot and problem solve student cases as needed.
- Regularly work with Verto’s schools of record to support the awarding of Title IV federal aid, and as the liaison with parents and students when questions arise about the process; troubleshoot issues and concerns as needed
- Outstanding customer service to students and parents through email, phone, and zoom meetings (as needed)
- Other duties as assigned
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Strategic Thinker: You can plot the chess moves a year ahead of time and develop a credible plan to deliver amazing value to our students.
- Influential communicator: You are a thoughtful communicator who can sell ideas, gather resources, and rally stakeholders.
- Strong Executor: You value getting things done and hitting deadlines. You have a track record of delivering under pressure.
- Humble Collaborator: You bring kindness and empathy to your working relationships and put the team’s success before your own.
- Mission-Driven: You deeply believe that education has the power to transform lives and you want to give more young people a chance to thrive.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Associate’s degree required along with at least: one year of student or customer service experience and one year of student accounts experience; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Billing, scholarship, and collection experience
- Some financial aid experience a benefit
- Strong background in Quickbooks (or other billing software systems), Excel, Google Sheets, and Salesforce (or other relational databases/CRMs)
- Ability to work remotely, as this is a remote position
Unlimited vacation and sick time, with blackout dates related to the role
A benefits plan that includes health insurance and as soon as possible, a retirement plan