Employer: Amplify Education
A pioneer in K12 education since 2000, Amplify is leading the way in next-generation curriculum and assessment. Our captivating core and supplemental programs in ELA, math, and science engage all students in rigorous learning and inspire them to think deeply, creatively, and for themselves. Our formative assessment products turn data into practical instructional support to help students at every skill level build a strong foundation in early reading and math. Our programs provide teachers with powerful tools that help them understand and respond to the needs of all their students. Today, Amplify serves over eleven million students in all 50 states.
The Translator/Bilingual Proofreader will provide Spanish translation and editing support for product content, pedagogical documents, self-service help materials, and software; and will proofread customer-facing materials.
As a member of the documentation team, this role translates and reviews assessment materials, teacher resources, online help, and anything else our teams assemble for the teachers and administrators using Amplify products. Given that our primary audience is educators, understanding the nuances of both languages and catching mistakes that most people would gloss over are key proficiencies. The majority of the work will be done electronically in the Google suite or Adobe Acrobat, but employing those old-school proofreading marks is a necessary skill on the rare occasions when printed documents come along.
This is a full-time position based in Brooklyn, NY (remote is possible).
- Work with product teams to capture relevant information, translate content (mostly English to Spanish, but sometimes Spanish to English as well), communicate project status, ensure completion of projects, and align deployment to software releases
- Review digital content for accurate grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Proofread student and teacher materials in print, on websites, and on mobile devices
- Check graphic elements for placement, accuracy, and correspondence to surrounding text
- Ensure accurate branding, trademarking, and in-house style in both languages (Associated Press, APA, RAE)
- Discuss recommended corrections with translators, technical writers, developers, and product managers
- Native or bilingual (Federal ILR Level 5) proficiency of the Spanish language, with a strong command of its nuanced rules in spelling, grammar, and punctuation, and familiarity with common style guides and industry practices
- Full professional proficiency (Federal ILR Level 4) verbal and written communication skills in English
- 1+year’s professional translating and professional proofreading experience
- Expert translation and proofreading skills (assessments are administered)
- Attention to detail, and dedication to producing quality product with respect for timelines
- Adept at proofreading both digital files and printed materials
- Experience with Microsoft Office, G Suite, and Adobe Acrobat
- Experience with curriculum and assessment materials in early literacy and math
- Experience with computer programs beyond those required
- Extensive knowledge of at least one industry-standard style guide and experience synthesizing rules from multiple style guides
- A talent for finding the inherent meaning in words and phrases, and communicating the author’s intent through translations
- Experience crafting Spanish content for U.S.-based audiences
- Experience working with software developers in an agile environment
- Comfortable working in collaborative environments and driving workflows