Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts is a leading accredited provider of online and campus-based culinary training and education. The school’s professional programs offer the proven combination of a classic and contemporary approach to modern industry skills training as well as a sustainability-centered and business-focused curriculum. Professional programs in Culinary Arts and Pastry Arts are available online and at ground campuses in Austin, Texas, and Boulder, Colorado. Escoffier also offers enthusiast training online and on ground.
GENERAL SUMMARY The Adjunct Chef Instructor is responsible for facilitating meaningful learning of course competencies in the curriculum and proactively support all facets of the learning environment. They provide education through learning-centered instruction that will enable students to fulfill the evolving needs of the marketplace. They encourage a culture of learning that values mutual responsibility and respect, life-long learning, and ethics, as well as personal and professional development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Engages all students to facilitate and achieve course learning outcomes.
● Customize course shell to add value to students beyond what is covered in the text (e.g. personal experiences, case studies, supplemental readings, etc.)
● Interact with students in all discussion boards, guiding the discussion toward the course outcomes;
● Coach struggling students toward success;
● Identify at risk students and work with Executive Chef, Registrar and Academic Student Advisor to create plans for success
● Respond to all student inquiries within 24 hours;
● Submit final course grades by the Tuesday of the last day of the block no later than 3:00 PM
● Attend scheduled program meetings, in-service workshops and college-wide faculty meetings. ● Relates professional/life/industry experience to learning through professional/technical skills development, introduction of industry perspective into courses, and active awareness of professional/industry trends and opportunities.
● Assist/support the Executive Chef on course or program related tasks.
● Support the Registrar in maintaining accurate student records.
● Other duties as required or assigned.
● Associates in Culinary Arts preferred.
● 1 year of online teaching experience, preferred.
● Completion of an accredited program in occupational area of instruction plus 2 years’ work experience direct related to the occupational industry or;
● 5 years of work experience directly related to the occupational industry.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
● Communication Skills
● Conflict Resolution Skills
● Detail Oriented
● Time-Management Skills
● Organizational Skills
● Analytical and Report Writing Skills
● Coachability: Being receptive to feedback, willing to learn, embracing continuous improvement ● Ethics: Has personal and professional ethics and fosters a diverse and respectful workplace.
● Ability to interact with staff and external relationships in a professional manner, including a demonstrated commitment to customer service.
● Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, etc.)
Nature of work requires an ability to operate standard business equipment. Siting for long periods of time; up to 8 hours of computer and/or phone work daily. Required to lift up to 20 pounds.
WORKING CONDITIONS Majority of the work performed in a typical school classroom environment.
● White chef jacket (pressed-no wrinkles)
● Black chef pants
● Black leather or rubber kitchen safe shoes
● Solid white t-shirt underneath the chef jacket (t-shirt to be free of any sort of design/writing).
● Chef’s toque must be worn at all time while in the kitchens
● Apron when instructing in the kitchen
OTHER DUTIES Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.