You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
Great jobs start with great training and our next class is starting soon. Apply today.
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Here, you will find a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, talented peers, comprehensive benefits and career development opportunities. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as you help us advance health equity on a global scale. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
As a Senior Customer Service Representative, you’ll compassionately deliver an exceptional experience to between 50 to 70 callers per day, always remembering that there is a real person on the other end of the phone who is looking for help, guidance, and support. You’ll also provide support to your team members by serving as a resource or subject matter expert. Both of these are opportunities for you to identify and exceed our customer expectations by committing to and building strong relationships internally and externally. At the end, you’ll know you performed with integrity and delivered the best customer service experience making all your customers and team members feel better because they talked to you.
This position is full-time (40 hours/week) Monday – Friday. Employees are required to have flexibility to work any of our 8-hour shift schedules during our normal business hours of 8:00am – 5:00pm CST. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime.
We offer weeks of paid on-the-job training. The hours of the training will be based on schedule or will be discussed on your first day of employment.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
- Serve as a resource or Subject Matter Expert (SME) for other team members or internal customers
- Handle escalated calls, resolving more complex customer issues in a one and done manner
- Answer incoming phone calls from customers and identify the type of assistance the customer needs (i.e. benefit and eligibility, billing and payments, authorizations for treatment and explanation of benefits (EOBs)
- Ask appropriate questions and listen actively to identify specific questions or issues while documenting required information in computer systems
- Intervene with care providers (doctor’s offices) on behalf of the customer to assist with appointment scheduling or connections with internal specialists for assistance when needed
- Assist customers in navigating UnitedHealth Group websites and encourage and reassure them to become self-sufficient
- Own problem through to resolution on behalf of the customer in real time or through comprehensive and timely follow-up with the member
- Research complex issues across multiple databases and work with support resources to resolve customer issues and/or partner with others to resolve escalated issues
- Provide education and status on previously submitted pre-authorizations or pre-determination requests
- Meet the performance goals established for the position in the areas of: efficiency, call quality, provider satisfaction, first call resolution and attendance
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher) OR 10+ years of equivalent working experience
- Familiarity with computer and Windows PC applications, which includes the ability to learn new and complex computer system applications
- Ability to successfully complete the Customer Service training classes and demonstrate proficiency of the material
- Ability to work full-time, Monday – Friday between 8:00am – 5:00pm CST including the flexibility to work occasional overtime given the business need
- 1+ years of Customer Service Representative (CSR) experience OR 1+ years of experience in an office setting, call center setting or phone support role
- Ability to keep all company sensitive documents secure (if applicable)
- Required to have a dedicated work area established that is separated from other living areas and provides information privacy.
- Must live in a location that can receive a UnitedHealth Group approved high-speed internet connection or leverage an existing high-speed internet service.
- Ability to multi-task duties as well as the ability to understand multiple products and multiple levels of benefits within each product
- Ability to work regularly scheduled shifts within our hours of operation including the training period, where lunches and breaks are scheduled, with the flexibility to adjust daily schedule, and work over-time and/or weekends, as needed
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Washington or Rhode Island Residents Only: The hourly range for California / Colorado / Connecticut / Nevada / New York / New Jersey / Washington / Rhode Island residents is $16.00 – $31.44 per hour. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.