The salary range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs.
At WGU, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role, and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is:
Pay Range: $17.35 – $25.14
If you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country—and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future—consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Job Description Summary
This role is a critical position within the Financial Aid department. The Financial Support Assistant is responsible for responding to all general student inquiries regarding Financial Aid and Student Accounts functions. The Financial Services Assistant is responsible for providing clear communication and support to students, while ensuring the student has a satisfied experience. The Financial Services Assistant will also provide support to, enrollment/admissions representatives, mentors and other WGU staff to serve our students. Individuals in this position must stay abreast of Federal and State Regulatory changes to ensure that WGU operates in compliance with all applicable regulations.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Support WGU students and staff while focusing on our Key Results of Completion, Return, and Equity. Serve as the first point of contact for students answering inbound calls and responding to emails from students with general inquiries about funding, tuition payment plans, federal financial aid, and billing. Respond to student inquiries in a timely manner with the objective of providing student resolution during their first call or interaction. Utilize available resources such as the Knowledge Base, Student Handbook, and internal systems. Accurately track all interactions with students within our Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
system, including any issues that require escalation. Identify and escalate priority issues to the appropriate resources as defined by business practices. Communicate and explain missing requirements to the student and ensure they have the information needed to complete their requirements. Understand and explain federal financial aid guidelines and regulations to students. Demonstrate a foundational knowledge of the award policies and procedures and how they affect the student. Comply with WGU, state and federal regulations and policies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong customer service background
- Proficient with Microsoft Office© software (e.g., Word, Outlook, Teams, etc.)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adaptable to change
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and completeness
- Ability to work as a contributing member in a team environment
- Comfortable working with others over the telephone; have a clear speaking voice and a personable demeanor
- Perform daily responsibilities in a professional, friendly, and efficient manner
- Self-motivated and willing to seek out new challenges and information
- Ability to spend the workday logged into our phone system and available to take calls from staff and students
- Ability to work closely as a team, communicating concerns and bringing resolution to issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High School Diploma or GED required
- No student loans in default and must be in good standing with the U.S. Department of Education
- Prior work call-center work experience
- Experience with Salesforce, Banner, Onbase, NSLDS, COD, etc.
- Candidates can expect to start at $20.00/hour
This is a university made for a new kind of student. At WGU, our focus is on the success of our students and our graduates. What kind of university will give the busy adult student of the 21st century—unique, dedicated, and driven—the best chance for success? One that values those qualities and puts them to work. We’re the first university where all bachelor’s and master’s degrees are competency-based, with curriculum designed in partnership with leading employers. We’re nonprofit, driven entirely by a mission to serve students—in fact, it’s right there in our name. We’re called Western Governors University because we were created by a group of U.S. governors, an innovative solution to their states’ demand for high-quality, outcomes-oriented higher education.