- Reporting to the Public Relations and Internal Communications Manager, the Communications Specialist will help inspire internal and external audiences to take action to further the Petco Love mission and drive lifesaving change for animals.
- He/she will work alongside the manager to help execute the organization’s internal and PR communications strategy and accomplish the daily work needed to support brand efforts and increase recognition of Petco Love’s impact as a national leader in animal welfare.
- Helps to execute the annual PR calendar and strategy.
- Creates, edits, and distributes brand-right, clear, concise, and impactful internal and public communications.
- Follows up on media-worthy story leads and develops stories.
- Prepares talking points for media interviews and/or other speeches.
- Assists with partner press kits and media approvals for partner pitching.
- Writes, edits, and proofreads text for internal and external communications and publications.
- Assists with internal communication execution and participates in cross-functional collaboration with internal team members.
- Drafts internal communications that drive fundraising results, and helps to distribute on key internal channels.
- Monitors and develops weekly/monthly reporting on PR impact.
- Manage timelines and details for multiple simultaneous projects while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Positive, solutions-oriented with a strong ability to build and develop relationships with internal stakeholders, partners, and teammates.
- Nimble, can-do attitude. Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time in order to complete them accurately and on schedule. Willingness to embrace change and to adapt strategy on the fly.
- Willingness to listen to feedback from others and find the best ways to incorporate that feedback.
- Flexibility to deal with unanticipated projects that have tight turnaround times by adjusting schedules for other projects and clearly communicating those changes to stakeholders and teammates.
- Self-motivated, good at taking initiative, and comfortable operating under a degree of ambiguity.
- Passionate about animal welfare and the Petco Love mission.
- Clear, concise, and accurate copywriting skills.
- Experience writing for the web.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Undergraduate degree in marketing, journalism, communications, or related field and 3-5 years of experience.
- A strong understanding of what makes a powerful narrative and how to communicate that narrative across multiple platforms.
- Clear and effective communication, writing, and presentation skills.
- Experience working with the press.
- Training and experience in how to tell a story using words, images, or audio and an understanding of how to create content that draws an audience.
- Ability to demonstrate the personal and emotional impact of our work, as well as the data surrounding the measurable outcomes.
- Experience managing project details with multiple timelines and deliverables.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Proficiency in Excel including knowledge and understanding of intermediate Excel skills necessary to organize data.
- Strong ability to build and develop relationships with internal stakeholders, supporters, and teammates.