The Advising Support Representative is responsible for creating a high-quality experience for learners throughout their experience at Capella University. Through phone and text support, they empower learners to think proactively about their program, equip them with the necessary tools and resources to be successful, and assist in removing roadblocks. These interactions will require extensive knowledge relating to all university policies, programs, academic plans, financing including financial aid and billing, and general questions about the university.
Since this role works with learners in all programs, degree levels, and learning formats, it requires extensive university knowledge and familiarity with university and team-specific resources. Strong critical thinking and decision-making skills are essential to evaluate and triage ambiguous or complex learner situations.
The role will meet established objectives for phone and schedule metrics. As business needs dictate, individuals in this role may be trained on similar types of functions to support other teams within the department.
The Advising Support Representative will 4 days a week 9am to 6pm CST and 1 day a week 11am to 8pm CST. There will be some Saturday shifts required through out the year. Please be aware of any time zone difference
- Supports learner requests regarding academics and learner records from first course through graduation and beyond.
- Provides learners with an exceptional service experience, leaving a lasting, positive impression of academic advising and Capella University.
- Proactively informs learners of important milestones in their programs and provides resources and promotes coach connection to streamline the experience
- Educates learners about self-service resources and encourage use to build greater learner independence and self-sufficiency.
- Responds to learners via a wide variety of communication channels and systems, including phone, voicemail, email, text, and casework.
- Answers questions in alignment with role boundaries and triage requests as needed to academic coaches or other departments.
- Effectively uses resources, Salesforce/Campus Solutions System, Academic Plans, InContact, SharePoint, Pinnacle, ScheduleOnce scheduling tool, and MS Office to manage learner data, perform tasks, document interactions, and answer questions.
- Creates, manages, and resolves casework efficiently, staying within the assigned service level agreement (SLA)
- Supports outbound call campaign efforts according to the needs of the organization.
Internal Engagement and Support
- Effectively manages and engages in internal communication channels, including Outlook, web-based meeting platforms, and Microsoft Teams.
- Demonstrates skillful time management and schedule adherence related to daily/weekly schedules
- Thinks proactively about schedule and plans time off to reduce impact to team and learners.
- Partners with coaches and other departments as needed to resolve learner requests.
- Actively prepares for and engages in one-to-one meetings with direct leader
- Actively engages in weekly team meetings, sharing workflow observations, challenges, and ideas.
- Develops strong business acumen that supports effective decision making and alignment with the best interests of the learner and the company.
Training and Development
- Engages in coaching sessions with your leader to review metrics and do quality reviews of your work.
- Participates in team/department/company trainings and meetings to develop your knowledge base
- Consistently reviews internal and external resources, updates, and company communications to ensure functional knowledge is current.
- Develops Subject Matter Expertise in area(s) of product/university knowledge for advising related processes.
- Helps to encourage and mentor other employees to grow within the role
- Seeks to understand and demonstrate SEI’s leadership behaviors
Process Improvement and Project Support
- Drives new ideas and ways of doing things by identifying, communicating, and making recommendations for improvement to existing processes/ procedures, keeping the learner experience top of mind.
- Effectively evaluates priority by considering day-to-day needs and the big picture to complete the right tasks.
- Makes timely decisions in the face of ambiguity
- Works on project assignments with diligence and accuracy until completion.
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrates integrity and demands high standards for themselves and their team
- Punctuality and effective time management skills
- Ability to adhere to and follow a set daily/weekly schedule
- Excellent active listening, verbal, and written communication skills with ability to interact effectively with senior management levels.
- Ability to handle complex customer resolution issues, applying information and policies and assessment of unique circumstances; and resolving with a reasonable level of autonomy
- Displayed success in achieving and sustaining objectives and performance metrics
- Ability to maintain a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Organizational skills—ability to prioritize, manage multiple demands and present information in a clear and concise manner
- Strong technological skills and aptitude. Includes skills in the Microsoft Office Suite, applied expertise accessing internet or systems-based information, such as Salesforce, Peoplesoft CRM, and other education related software and internet applications.
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm under pressure and maintain a professional demeanor.
- Excellent relationship-building, customer service, and problem-solving skills.
- Exhibits high degree of initiative and follow-through.
- 1+ years of experience working in a professional setting leveraging strong written and verbal communication in addition to solid customer service skills.
- High school diploma required. Some college experience preferred.
- Must be able to travel up to 10% of time.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- Typical office setting.
- Mobility within the office including movement from floor to floor.
- Travel via plane, car, and metro may be required to perform this job.
- Must be able to work more than 40 hours per week when business needs warrant
- Access information using a computer.
- Effectively communicate, both up and down the management chain.
- Effectively cope with stressful situations
- Strong mental acuity
- Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality are essential functions of this job.
- Other essential functions and marginal job functions are subject to modification.